Purrwood Forest is currently home to 23+ wonderful cats. (The + is because some are strays that come and go and we do not count them as “regulars”) As we gain new residents we will list them here. All cats listed have been fixed (unless otherwise noted).
Additionally, all outdoor cats have access to a dry and heated shelter (via kitty window in rain proof workshop with multiple heated cat houses, lots of beds and a double barrel wood stove that runs 24/7 all winter) running clean water fountains and even cooling fans in the summer. We also have several dog houses and other shelters available. We are in the middle of nowhere on nearly 7 partially wooded acres off a low traffic dirt road guarded by 2 kitty loving Great Pyrenees dogs.
If you would like to Sponsor A Kitty please click on their image to go to their purrsonal page. <COMING SOON along with more pics & sponsor options>
Please note: unless collecting for a specific emergency, all donations received go to our “general fund” which is used to cover all expenses for the cats including food, litter, flea control, vaccinations, spay/neuter, etc… Rest assured… EVERYTHING you donate goes DIRECTLY to caring for the cats. ALWAYS.
The #CatsOfPurrwood in order of their arrival are:
- Missy (aka Miss Kitty) #MissyOfPurrwood – Rescued from craigslist ad. She was being kept in a tiny laundry room closet because “boyfriend” was allergic.
- Monster #MonsterOfPurrwood – At approximately 1 week old he was found half dead on the side of the road and nursed back to health. REFUSES to be a house cat, we’ve tried, and lives happily on the front porch instead (he has his own heat lamp and heated kitty house in the winter and plenty of dry shelter on rainy days). He’s got 7 acres to explore and you will NEVER see him more than 20 feet away from the house. Doesn’t like people and only lets me pet him. Runs under the house if anyone else is around. LOVES our Great Pyrenees and follows them everywhere (as long as they stay within his preferred range) and I often find him sleeping wherever they are.
- Xerox (aka Mr. Z, Z Rock) #XeroxOfPurrwood – Rescued from craigslist ad. Overcrowding situation with disabled human adults incapable of caring for themselves let alone the cats. Caretaker was simply overwhelmed.
- Pixie (aka Mama Pix) #PixieOfPurrwood – Found in a parking lot half starved. Later busted out of the house and got her self pregnant the day before her spay appointment… Go figure. We think Snickerdoodle the Stay is the culprit. She’s fixed now (so is he and all their kittens). Pixie and her kittens all live happily in the house now and Pixie has expressed no interest in getting back out the door, though she does love to spend time in the sunny spots in the catio on the front porch.
- Snickerdoodle #SnickerdoodleOfPurrwood – Showed up on the porch one day yelled in my face, headbutted me, asked for breakfast and moved in with Monster.
- Amy #AmyOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood. Found in bad section of highway overpasses in downtown Dallas with many other feral cats that were trapped and rehomed.
- Annabelle #AnnabelleOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood. Found in bad section of highway overpasses in downtown Dallas with many other feral cats that were trapped and rehomed.
- Fluffy (aka The Fluffster, Senior Fluff) #FluffyOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood. Senior kitty left behind in an apartment when owners moved away without him.
- Lucy #LucyOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood. Senior kitty left behind in an apartment when owners moved away without her.
- Maize (aka Clawlinka) #MaizeOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood. Found in bad section of highway overpasses in downtown Dallas with many other feral cats that were trapped and rehomed.
- Monroe (aka Buford) #MonroeOfPurrwood – rescued by the Barn Cats, Inc. organization and rehomed to Purrwood.
- Tinker (aka Tink Tink, Tinky Dink) #TinkerOfPurrwood – adopted from Collin County Animal Shelter with his brother Merlin.
- Merlin (aka Mer, Mermer) #MerlinOfPurrwood – adopted from Collin County Animal Shelter with his brother Tinker.
- Salem #SalemOfPurrwood – born at Purrwood (Mama Pix)
- Onyx #OnyxOfPurrwood – born at Purrwood (Mama Pix)
- Mystic (aka Mystic Sister, Little Sister)#MysticOfPurrwood – born at Purrwood (Mama Pix)
- Lucky (aka Mr. Sweets) #LuckyOfPurrwood – Senior kitty found in the streets, turned in to Bonham shelter, then brought to Purrwood. Extremely malnourished and half-blind. Pretty much a sack of bones when we got him. Major dental problems and a bad thyroid. Had trouble eating wet food and dry food was *almost* out of the question. Needed help with grooming, especially around his eye. After several roller coaster months of medication and check ups, gaining, losing, re-gaining and re-losing weight, Lucky decided it was time to go to sleep and died quietly during the night.
- Jinx #JinxOfPurrwood – Only with us 1 day. 🙁 A woman had been “caring” for him for many months while neglecting a badly injured leg. By the time we heard his story and got a hold of him the OPEN wound was STILL bleeding and, after months of not being treated, badly infected. The leg needed to be amputated but because he was very sick (FIV, FeLV positive) and weak from blood loss and being malnourished it was decided that it would be kinder to let him go. Our vet was concerned about him not recovering from the amputation and that it would just prolong his suffering.
- Mama Cali #CaliOfPurrwood – We took her and her six 8-week old kittens in from a woman who rescued her from somewhere else but was unable to go near her because she ended up being HIGHLY allergic and absolutely could not touch them without getting a horrible rash. 🙁 EXCELLENT Mama cat. Took in a stray kitten in addition to her own 6 littles and did a WONDERFUL job with all of them. (I helped out with extra kitten milk for everyone so as not to overwhelm her)
- Feisty #FeistyOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Tiger #TigerOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Dusty #DustyOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Little Red #LittleRedOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Butterball #ButterballOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Tabby (aka Jelly Butterface …. you can thank my six year old for that one) #TabbyOfPurrwood – One of Mama Cali’s kittens.
- Ninja Seven (aka Seven of Nine, Seven, Ninja) #NinjaOfPurrwood – While Mama Cali was still nursing her littles, this fella found himself stuck up a tree in our one and only neighbor’s yard. Thinking it was one of our kitties they walked him over here (he followed them like a puppy!) and this is where he stayed. Mama Cali, after a brief hissy fit, took him in as one of her own and nursed him, too. We’re pretty sure, since he’s a black cat <insert scary music here> and we’re in the middle of nowhere that he got dumped.
- Sebastian #SebastianOfPurrwood – A Siamese Barn Cat. Yup… this poor fella had an attitude problem that kept him in Collin County Animal Shelter for months with no sign of ever getting adopted. Nobody wanted his cranky little butt so when we heard about him we said bring him on over! He’s not the friendliest of critters, but if you’re lucky you can sneak in a petting or two while he’s got his mouth full at the dinner table. He’s pretty scarce and sticks to the woods so we don’t see him much. Ah well… better than him living his life in a little metal cage or getting put to sleep because of being unfriendly.
- Lily (aka Lily Pad, Lily Belle, Princess Lilypus the Sillypus) #LilyOfPurrwood – arrived at Purrwood on 9-5-15 after sitting in a high risk shelter for way too many weeks. For the life of me I can NOT figure out why this girl didn’t get adopted. She is THE SNUGGLEBUG of snuggle bugs. Super well behaved. Not one mess. Not even a hairball. Minds her claw manners and loves to cuddle. The PURRFECT cat. Seriously.
- Nickle (aka Nickle Pickle) #NickleOfPurrwood – Injured young boy that showed up on the porch for breakfast with Monster one morning. Totally terrified of everything but me and Monster. Took him for antibiotics for a back wound (most likely a dog bite). All healed up but still terrified as all heck. Will let us all pet him, but will NOT be picked up and trembles something awful. He comes and goes, but mostly always shows up at dinner time. He gets along with a handful of the barn kitties now and loves to sleep in a plastic kiddie pool that we have stored in the barn rafters. Working on raising funds to get him fixed.
- Shadow #ShadowOfPurrwood – Went out to the porch to feed Monster one night and this little black boy materialized out of the shadows (hence the name) and yelled at me until I gave him some of Monster’s food. Stuck around and waited for me to get more for both of them and was quite happy with getting snuggled. He is *almost* always around, though of course he disappeared when I needed to take him for his neuter during Spay Days. Little brat. LOL Still could use funds for his spay, as I don’t know when the next Spay Day is and he and Nickle are not too happy with each other both being intact males and all.